Occupational Therapy Day was first launched on 27th October 2010. Since then, it has become an important date in the occupational therapy calendar to promote and celebrate the profession internationally.
What is World Occupational Therapy Day?
The World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) is the international voice of the occupational therapy profession which globally comprises of 101 national occupational therapy professional organisations. World Occupational Therapy Day is the opportunity to heighten the visibility of the profession’s development work and to promote the activities of WFOT locally, nationally, and internationally.
When is it? Annually on October 27th
The aim is that the WFOT World Occupational Therapy Day will be integrated with other national celebrations and promotions of the mission and goals of occupational therapy. Many countries hold occupational therapy week or month in October. If this does not fit with your country or time frame then individual events can be scheduled to suit any local time frames. This will help to increase the awareness of occupational therapists and society of the truly global impact of occupational therapy.
Promoting and Celebrating World Occupational Therapy Day 2020 - Information and Resources
There are many ways to promote and celebrate World Occupational Therapy Day 2020. The theme for this year is “Reimagine Doing”
The WFOT is providing a range of resources that you can utilise to help promote the event. Many of these items have been designed exclusively for World Occupational Therapy Day 2020 and they can be downloaded from here. These resources include:
- Guide to World Occupational Therapy Day 2020 – A useful resource to help you plan and organise the event together with links to exclusive promotional offers.
- World Occupational Therapy Day 2020 official logo free for you to download - available with and without the theme in different languages.
- Media Pack with artwork for Facebook, Twitter and banner advertisements for you to use.
- Join the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION) and network with people around the world to share news and ideas about World Occupational Therapy Day.
WFOT is partnering with www.promotingot.org to support the OT Global Day of Service (OTGDS).
The OT Global Day of Service (OTGDS) will take place on Tuesday 27th October 2020.
Who can participate?
Occupational therapy practitioners and students who would like to volunteer community service to an individual or organisation.
Who will benefit?
Everyone who receives volunteered community service benefits by the generosity of the participating occupational therapy practitioners and students.
How can I help?
Service is not always about direct action—it can be providing free professional, creative and organisational services which can have an equally profound effect on the programs and causes that need your help. Basically, when you engage in an unpaid activity intended to benefit others, that is service.
What kinds of things can I do?
A list of examples can be found via this link.
How do I sign up to promote?
- Register to participate in the Occupational Therapy Global Day of Service.
- Arrange to engage in a volunteer activity on October 27, 2020.
- Participate in the Occupational Therapy Global Day of Service.
- Complete the survey about your Occupational Therapy Global Day of Service experience
Where do I register?
Follow this link to the registration page.
Where do I complete the post-event survey?
After completing your service, follow this link to tell us about it.
Be Inspired: Previous World Occupational Therapy Day Activities
Celebrations were held around the world and on social media to celebrate World Occupational Therapy Day in previous years. Examples of how people promoted the global profile of the profession are presented in the document below.
Read the World OT Day 2016 Roundup (PDF)
Access the World OT Day 2017 Roundup (Yogile)