WFOT is a federation of national and regional occupational therapy organisations with a robust, accountable and transparent governance structure.
The governance of WFOT includes a Council made up of official Delegates from each Member Organisation. Each delegate is supported by an Alternate Delegate and in some instances, a Second Alternate Delegate.
From the Council, a leadership team is elected to form the WFOT Executive Management Team. The Executive Management Team includes four Executive Members – President, Vice President, Vice President Finance and Executive Director (ex officio), in addition to three Programme Coordinators. The Executive Management Team are responsible for the day to day governance of the organisation.
Every two years the WFOT Executive Management Team and the official Delegates of the Member Organisations meet at a formal Council Meeting to govern the responsibilities and strategic direction of the Federation.
The Executive Management Team holds meetings virtually in the intervening year and meet in person immediately prior to Council to review and progress the agreed work of the Federation.
WFOT governance responsibilities include:
Governance, risk management and compliance policy and practice
- Advising directors and officers on director duties and the organisation’s constitution.
- Advising the Council on corporate governance principles and the implementation of governance programs and risk management frameworks.
- Developing, implementing, communicating and maintaining governance, risk and compliance policies, processes and procedures.
- Maintaining the corporate structure.
- Maintaining and increasing membership.
Corporate strategy and board management and administration
- Carrying out the instructions of the Council.
- Development of the strategic plan
- Implementing the corporate strategy (including giving effect to Council decisions).
- Ensuring corporate accountability by communicating with the organisation's stakeholders and broader community.
- Ensuring effective communication within the Council and with and between Programme areas.
- Liaising between member organisations, individual members and the Council
- Managing Council and Programme administration.
- Preparing meetings, agendas and minutes (for example, for Council, Executive and Executive
Performance, remuneration and evaluation
- Assisting with the induction of the Executive Management Team, and Delegates.
- Hiring and performance management of the Executive Director position.
- Facilitating professional development programmes for the Executive and Council.
- Reviewing the performance of WFOT in relation to the strategic plan.
Human resources, legal and finance
- Advising on intellectual property asset management (for example patents, trademarks, business & domain names).
- Advising on relevant financial issues (accounting, finance, asset management)
- Monitoring organisational investments.
- Advising (where required) on environmental issues.
- Advising on privacy legislation.
External adviser communication-liaison
- Communicating with external advisers (legal, accounting etc) and corporate representatives.
- Managing seals and document execution.
- Undertaking general administration and asset management functions.
- Overseeing document retention and management.