You are invited to participate in a study of medical, allied health, and early childhood professionals’ knowledge regarding autism, their previous experience with autism training and identification tools, and their autism training needs and preferences. The purpose of this study is to learn what these professionals find most useful in an autism training program and if there are any differences between these professional groups or between professionals in different countries in their knowledge and training regarding autism, as well as their preferences for an autism training program. This information will be used to help us design an online training program tailored for use by professionals.
You are invited to participate if you are either:
- A medical professional (for example: general practitioner, family doctor, family practitioner, primary care physician, practice nurse, nurse practitioner, maternal and child health nurse, child and family nurse, “well baby” nurse, paediatrician, child psychiatrist)
- An allied health professional (for example: psychologist, speech pathologist, occupational therapist), or
- An early childhood professional (e.g., early childhood educator, childcare worker, day-care worker, preschool teacher, nursery school teacher, kindergarten teacher)
- You regularly work with children aged 11 to 36 months
- You are aged 18 years or older
- You can speak and understand English
Procedure for completing the survey
If you want to take part in this study, we will ask you to complete an online survey with the option to also participate in an online interview. It will take around 20 minutes of your time to complete the online survey. If you agree to also participate in an interview via Zoom (a video call), it will take around 30 minutes of your time. We will ask your permission for the interview to be recorded, however, if you do not want it to be recorded, you can still participate.
How anonymity of data will be ensured
We will collect information about you in ways that will not reveal who you are.
We will store information about you in ways that will not reveal who you are.
We will publish information about you in ways that you will not be identified in any type of publication from this study. Results from this study will be included in a thesis, published in scholarly journals, and presented at conferences.
The storage, transfer and destruction of your data will be undertaken in accordance with the Research Data Management Policy https://policies.latrobe.edu.au/document/view.php?id=106/.
The personal information you provide will be handled in accordance with applicable privacy laws, any health information collected will be handled in accordance with the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic). Subject to any exceptions in relevant laws, you have the right to access and correct your personal information by contacting the research team.
Deadline for completion/closure of survey: 30/09/2020